Frequently asked Questions
What to do if you get pepper sprayed
Here are some tips on what to do if you get pepper spray:
1. Wash the exposed area with soap and water to remove all oils and dirt, which might entrap the irritant.
2. Flush the exposed area profusely with cold water three to five minutes.
3. Keep the washed areas exposed to fresh air to allow the irritant to evaporate.
4. Do not apply oil or grease medications. They could further trap the irritants.
5. Do not bandage the exposed areas.
6. Keep the area exposed to fresh air.
7. Also try sucking on half a lemon to relieve the effects of inhaled pepper spray.
· OC Pepper Oleoresin capsicum is a naturally occurring substance derived from hot peppers. OC Pepper causes an intense burning sensation to the skin, eyes and throat upon contact. OC sprays are available in different strengths.
· Tear Gas Tear Gas is a lachrymatory agent or lachrymator which stimulates the corneal nerves in the eyes thereby causing profuse tearing and pain, an intense burning sensation to the skin and shortness of breath. Common lachrymators include CN tear gas (omega-chloroacetophenone) and CS tear gas (ortho-chlorobenzalmalononitrile).
· UV Dye As an added defense, many of our formulations contain an ultraviolet dye. The dye will invisibly mark an assailant which may aid in identification
· Blended Sprays Combination of OC Pepper, CN tear gas and UV dye. The advantage of this formula is that it that you don’t have to hit the attacker in the face; even if you hit them in the chest the tear gas will affect them.
· Animal Sprays products for use as deterrents against dogs and bears. Our Muzzle® Canine Pepper Spray and Bear Pepper Mace® are EPA registered products and serve to round out our product line.
· Gel a patent pending formula, in which the OC pepper is suspended in a sticky gel. The gel formula offers several advantages: it sprays farther and will stick to a person’s face on contact. It is also less contaminating to the surrounding area than other sprays, making it ideal for indoor use or for use in windy conditions.
· Stream The ballistic stream pattern is the most common in defense sprays and is available in the widest variety of models. Stream units deliver a blast of active agent in a targeted liquid stream
· Fogger Foggers dispense in a cone-shaped pattern to quickly blanket a large area.
· Foam The thick foam formula discharges in a blast to cover an attacker’s face, making it difficult to see, while the pepper forces the eyes to slam shut.
What are the effects of pepper sprays? How long do they last?
· Upon direct contact with eyes, respiratory system and mucous membranes, the active ingredients in the pepper spray will cause eyes to slam shut, coughing, and an intense burning sensation to the skin. Some formulations contain tear gas which causes profuse tearing, an intense burning sensation to the face and disorientation. Effects should lessen in approximately 45 minutes.
What if you accidentally spray yourself or someone else?
· In case of accidental exposure to the contents of your pepper spray, follow these first aid instructions: Remove contact lenses and contaminated clothing immediately. Flush contaminated area with large quantities of cool water or a diluted baking soda solution and expose the area to fresh air as soon as possible. Do not apply salves, creams, oils or lotions as they can trap the irritant agent against the skin and result in blisters or burns. Consult a physician if irritation persists. Contaminated clothing should be washed or dry-cleaned, as appropriate, prior to re-use to prevent skin injury. WARNING: Even water based practice sprays, do not spray on anyone or yourself. Even though there is nothing in the sprays to do any permanent harm to anyone, the nitrogen can cause some skin irritation or burning if sprayed in the eyes.
What is the proper way to store pepper spray?
· Store your Pepper Spray in cool dry area away from heat, flame or strong light. Do not store it in an environment where the temperature may exceed 120 degrees F (50 degrees C) such as an enclosed vehicle. The Pepper Spray cartridge may leak from over pressurization and fail to function properly. Do not store unit in a cold environment under 32 degrees F (0 degrees C). This may cause depressurization and the loss of effective range.
Can I use the pepper spray after it’s expired?
· Pepper Sprays have a shelf life of four years from the date of manufacture and each unit is labeled with an expiration date. An expired unit is not likely to have the amount of pressurization needed to spray properly. Expired units should be disposed of in accordance with all local, state and federal regulations.
What is a Stun Gun?
· A stun gun is an electrical non-lethal self-defense device that uses high voltage to stop an attacker. Touching a person with the prongs on the stun gun quickly immobilizes the attacker. However, because the amperage is very low, no serious or permanent injury is inflicted.
Do Stun Guns rely on pain for results?
· Stun guns use high voltage and low amperage to temporarily disable an attacker for several minutes. The stun gun does not rely on pain for results. The energy stored in the gun is dumped into the attacker’s muscles causing them to do a great deal of work rapidly. This rapid work cycle instantly depletes the attacker’s blood sugar by converting it to lactic acid. In short, he is unable to produce energy for his muscles, and his body is unable to function properly. The stun gun also interrupts the tiny neurological impulses that control and direct voluntary muscle movement. When the attacker’s neurological and muscular system is overwhelmed and controlled by the stun gun, he loses his balance. Should the attacker be touching you, the current will not pass to your body!
Is there a difference between the strength of stun guns?
· Stun guns will render your assailant helpless using non-lethal voltage from the stun gun, but you might have to hold a lower voltage model a second or two longer than the higher voltage model. A stun gun is effective on many parts of the body. But give yourself the best chance to get the best of your attacker. Hold the stun gun on a body part that has a lot of surface area, such as the chest, abdomen, groin, kidneys, back, etc. An area such as the arm or leg may work fine, but these body parts do not allow you the same amount of surface area that you will need to contact for a few seconds.
What type of Battery works best for Stun Guns
· Stun Guns are powered by 9-volt alkaline batteries. The battery that we recommend using only Energizer 9-volt Alkaline batteries. These batteries seem to work far better than other brands in the stun guns that we carry.
Will the voltage pass from the assailant to the person holding the stun gun?
· The electrical shock that emits from the stunning device will not pass from the person being stunned to the person doing the stunning. The effect is localized only in the affected area and does not pass through the body. Even if you or the attackers are wet or standing in water, you will not be shocked. Stun guns use DC or Direct Current which is also used in a typical car battery. AC or Alternating current, however is the type of current found in your home electricity.
Will test firing stun gun damage the unit?
· Test-firing your stun device is recommended to ensure battery life as well as practice using the stun gun. However, it is recommended not to test fire the unit more than a second or two. Firing the stun gun in the air for too long can damage the unit as it is not grounded. This does not apply when you are applying the unit to an assailant, however, because the stun gun is then grounded out on the person being stunned.
How long will the battery in my stun gun last?
Battery life depends on the stun gun model, battery type, and frequency of use. Any stun gun description should indicate average battery life for that particular model.
WHAT IS A WIRELESS SECURITY CAMERA?
· Most security cameras require two wires: one for power, and one to transmit the captured video to a
display or recording device (TV or DVR, for example). Wireless cameras only require one wire - for power.
The video is transmitted wirelessly via transmitter and receiver devices. A wireless camera is really a
combination of the camera plus a built-in wireless transmitter to send the video, and a receiver to receive
the video, which in turn plugs into the monitor or recorder.
FOR WHAT APPLICATIONS SHOULD I CONSIDER IP?
· IP cameras should be considered for large installation sites that already have a high bandwidth network
installed - especially if the cameras will be spread out over a wide area. For example; Hospitals, Schools, etc.
WHAT FEATURES SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN A CCTV DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER (DVR)?
· All DVRs are definitely not made equal! There are several factors that are critical to consider when purchasing a DVR, especially when comparing price. The most important features to look at are the number of cameras supported, frames per second (fps), compression technology, hard drive space, network connection / remote viewing capability, motion detection, scheduling, and ability to save video and audio to a CD or flash drive.
USING RG59 CABLE VS. PLUG AND PLAY CABLE?
· There are two basic approaches to hooking up security cameras and digital video recorders (DVRs). You can use Plug and Play cable or you can use RG59 Siamese cable. Both cable types combine a cable for the video and a cable for the power. The advantage of plug and play cable is that it is very easy to use. The connectors for power, video and audio are all pre-attached. All you have to decide is what length you need (we offer 25, 50, 100, and 150 ft. models). This cable type is a good choice for homeowners who dont need a cable run longer than 150 ft. The RG59 Siamese cable is more heavily shielded so its more durable and can be run longer distances (up to 1000 ft without a repeater). Its heavier shielding makes it less susceptible to interference. Florescent lighting in particular can interfere with camera signals. The RG59 is purchased in 500 or 1000 ft. rolls and each camera run is cut to the exact length needed. Since you need to cut the cable and attach the connectors, it is a little more involved to install.
WHICH TYPE OF SECURITY CAMERA SHOULD I USE?
· A security camera can come in many different styles including dome, bullet, infrared and Hidden. The security camera that will work best for your application will depend on several factors such as whether you will use the security cameras inside or out, during the day, night time, or both.
What are Bullet style security cameras?
· The most popular. They can be used inside or out. These security cameras come in black and white or color and come with all of the required mounting hardware. The security cameras casings are weather resistant and don’t require added external protection. Most security cameras have a fixed 4 mm lens that allows you to see facial features out to about 35 feet and provides a 70° angle of view. Resolution levels for black and white security cameras are about 400 lines, any higher and the benefits are minimal. For color cameras, the higher the resolution the better.
What are Infrared security cameras?
· Very popular as they allow an image to be seen in little or no lighting conditions.
Most infrared security cameras are bullet style and can be used inside or out. The cameras have infrared lighting
installed around the outer edge of the lens which allows the security camera to see in no light 25 ft or more depending on the camera model - even further with a little bit of light (like street lighting or an outside light.)
What are Dome security cameras?
Basically provide a different look. Also, if you have any concerns about tampering, check out our Infrared Armor Dome Security Camera. It will withstand a 10 lb sledgehammer blow and can be used inside or out, daytime or night time. Hidden cameras are very popular and can be hidden in almost any item.These cameras allow you to have the ability to capture video without anyone knowing. Most hidden cameras cannot be used outside and will need to be used indoors.
CAN I GET AUDIO IN MY HIDDEN CAMERA?
· No you cannot. According to United States federal laws, audio should not be used in a surreptitious manner. One example of surreptitious interception is audio in a hidden camera. This includes pinhole board cameras and all covert or hidden cameras. Audio in a hidden camera or board camera is only available to law enforcement agencies, with the exception of body worn cameras. Title 18, Section 2512.
WHAT IS A WIRED SECURITY CAMERA?
· Wired cameras have a video cable that runs from the camera to your recording or viewing device such as a DVR or monitor. Wireless cameras have a built-in transmitter that sends the video signal to a receiver. The receiver connects to your recording or viewing device.
HOW MANY WIRELESS CAMERAS CAN YOU HAVE IN ONE LOCATION?
· The new digital wireless transmitters will support up to 8 wireless cameras in a location.
WILL A CORDLESS PHONE INTERFERE WITH WIRELESS CAMERAS?
· A cordless phone or wireless router will not interfere with the wireless signal from the wireless cameras.
HOW FAR CAN A WIRELESS HIDDEN CAMERA TRANSMIT?
· The wireless cameras can transmit up to 1000 feet line of sight.
DO THE RECEIVERS WORK THROUGH WALLS UP TO TWO FEET THICK?
· Yes, as long as there isn’t too much metal in the wall.
HOW MANY HOURS WILL A DVR RECORD?
· The amount of time a DVR will record is based on the size of the hard drive, the number of cameras recording and the frames per second. A 4 camera stand alone DVR with a 500GB hard drive will record for 5 days of constant recording and around 2 weeks of motion recording. A 8 camera stand alone DVR with a 500GB hard drive will record for 2.5 days of constant recording and around 1 week of motion recording. A 16 camera stand alone DVR with a 1TB hard drive will record for 2.5 days of constant recording and around 1 week of motion recording.
WHAT IS A PLUG AND PLAY CONNECTION CAMERA?
· It is a RCA or BNC video plug and a power plug on the camera for easy connection to DVR or TV. This is done by
running the RCA/BNC (Aux) line into the VIDEO IN of the DVR or TV.
DO THE PLUG AND PLAY CONNECTIONS REQUIRE EXTRA WIRE TO RUN THE SIGNAL BACK TO THE DVR OR TV?
· Yes, you need to buy the length of cable you need. We offer the CA-25, CA-50, CA-100 and CA-150.
WHAT IS A VARIFOCAL LENS?
· A varifocal lens is one where the focal length of the lens can be varied. This is a fancy way of saying it is a
zoom lens. Most varifocal lenses have, and in almost all circumstances should have, an auto iris feature.
WHAT IS A FIXED LENS?
· A fixed focal length lens cannot zoom. The focus is fixed. A fixed focal length lens usually allows more light to pass through the lens at a given focal length than a varifocal, or zoom lens. This can be important in low light situations.
What is RESOLUTION?
· Refers to how much detail can be captured on a camera or displayed on a monitor. Cameras typically capture about 380 horizontal lines of resolution. High resolution cameras may capture 450 lines of resolution or more. The higher the resolution, the more detail that can be captured in a picture. The monitors and recording devices can generally handle at least as much resolution as the cameras can capture.
What is IR?
· Infrared - IR LEDs are used on Day/Night cameras which allow the camera to see in the dark.
What is LUX?
· The measurement of low light needed for the camera to view and record properly.
What is FPS?
Frames Per Second - the number of still frames (pictures) that give the illusion of motion, which appear
in a single second. 30 fps is considered real time. You need at least 30 fps for each camera for real time
viewing or recording with your cameras.
What is MOTION DETECTION?
· Refers to the feature in some VCRs and DVRs to only record video if something in the image moves or changes. Therefore you don’t have to look through hours of taped video looking for something to happen. It also saves a lot of space on the tape or hard drive.
What is a DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER (DVR)?
· A digital video recorder is basically a computer that converts the incoming (analog) signal from the cameras to digital, and compresses it, and stores it. The DVR replaces the function of a multiplexor (or quad or switcher) and a security VCR. There are many advantages of digital video recorders over their analog counterparts.